A career in the military can teach everything from managing communication security to running a wireless network. Individuals supervise IT training, plan IT operations and put them into practice whilst managing security policies. They also work alongside civilian companies when new IT systems are being introduced. The USP of veterans is that they can do all of this in the most pressurised of environments, in austere conditions, away from the comforts of a ‘9 - 5’. Their role can change regularly and at short notice. These soft skills, in addition to their technical expertise, makes veterans ideal candidates for a position in the demanding world of IT and comms.
IT & COMMS EXPERIENCE
HOW DOES MILITARY EXPERIENCE TRANSLATE TO A CAREER IN IT?
- Trained and experienced in area, digital, satellite and mobile communication systems.
- Experts in the installation, maintenance and repair of IT, telephone systems, antennae systems and fibre optic networks.
- Experience in installing and managing application software and wireless networks
- Skilled in using multi-channel microwave radio relay.
- Ready to build on in-depth information systems training .
- Experienced at using IT and cyber skills to interpret and analyse communications.
- Experienced in managing IT projects and teams.
- Understands and manages risk.
- Military exercises and operations instil adaptability, flexibility and resourcefulness.
- Used to stepping into a new technical role with every posting and deployment.
- Readily covers for senior positions at short notice.
- Able to use commercial hardware and software applications.
- Able to manage a variety of networked information systems and diagnose complex network issues.
- Advanced computing skills.
- Vulnerability assessments and computer forensics.
- Budget Management.
- Risk and crisis management.
- Well developed leadership skills.
- Analytical thinkers and problem solvers.
- Excellent communicators and negotiators.
- Experienced project managers.
- Willingness to take ownership.
- Self disciplined, reliable with an excellent work ethic.
- Able to multi-task.
- Able to get things done and to ‘think outside the box’.
- Adept at Stakeholder management.
- Team skills - building, leading, contributing.
- Calm under pressure.
SOME VETERAN-FRIENDLY EMPLOYERS LOOKING FOR IT/COMMS PEOPLE
- Sopra Steria
- AMPP Group
- Virgin Money
A MILITARY IT & COMMS PERSON UNDERSTANDS:
- Systems Design.
- Electronic Data Security.
- Integrated Electronic Systems.
- Network Administration.
- Operational System Testing/Evaluation.
- Process Analysis and Improvement.
- Project/Program Management.
- Software Administration.
- Systems Integration/Information Architect