It’s not just about computers when it comes to military ICT technicians! They have a variety of skills that employers are looking for and can be the perfect candidate to fill your skills gaps.
Specialised Military ICT Technician Skills
ICT Technicians and ICT Managers can be skilled in the following areas:
- Investigate and fix faults with antenna systems and fibre optic links.
- Assemble and install masts and fibre optics.
- Repair and manage digital and satellite systems, computer networks and terminals.
- Maintain wireless and internet-based networks and software.
- Develop & test software.
- Fibre optics and structured cabling.
- Create and manage digital exchanges, video links and networks.
- Set up and repair ultra-high frequency radio and satellites.
- Application support, web-skills, database and network management and cyber security
- Manage IT projects and IT teams.
General Military Skills
- Analytical and planning skills
- Project management
- Problem solving
- Leadership and resilience
- Communication skills
- Negotiation skills
- Self-discipline, reliability and work ethic
- Team Skills
- IT Skills
- Adaptability and resourcefulness
Civilian Roles that ex-military ICT staff could consider
- Cyber Security Specialist
- IT/Telecommunications Project Manager
- Wind Turbine Technicians
- Network & Data Communications Engineers
- Mast & Telecoms Towers Technicians
- Power Engineers
- Telecommunications Technician
- Service Desk Analyst
- Software Engineer
- Satellite Engineer
- Web Designer
- Software Developer/Tester
Skills Employers Need
- Cyber Security
- IT Project Management
- Fibre optics/cabling
- Network engineering
- Fault finding/problem solving and diagnosis
- Organisational skills, ability to get things done
- Process compliance
- Training & Mentoring
- Leaders and team members working to common purpose
- Ability to earn respect
- Leadership & Management