Ex-military cyber experts have extensive experience in protecting multiple assets, both in the UK and in hostile environments, and as a result they have developed a deep seated security mentality. It is their soft skills combined with their experience that has created the high demand for military veterans to join cyber and security business teams.
Whilst ex-military people may lack the education or certification of their civilian counterparts, their experience more than makes up for it. Military cyber experts are experienced in:
- Communication systems.
- Cyber security.
- Information security.
- Information assurance.
- Technical fields including intelligence, signals, civil, electrical and mechanical engineering.
- Information security management.
- Forensic investigation.
- Report writing.
- Use of ISO 27001.
- Risk Management.
- Operations Management.
- Crisis Management.
Many individuals possess relevant qualifications, such as:
- BSc Hons Intelligence & Security.
- Foundation Degree Information and Communication Technology.
- NVQ Communications Technology Professional.
- Microsoft and CISCO accredited qualifications.
- Advanced Apprenticeship IT Software, Web and Telecomms.
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM).
- EnCase Certified Examiner & XRY Mobile Forensics.
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH).
- BTEC Intermediate Award, Computer Engineering.
It is the soft skills that have been drilled into military people that sets them apart from their civilian equivalents, such as:
- Analytical and problem solving.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Work ethic.
- Teamwork and collaboration.
- Prioritisation and time management.
How Do Ex-Military Cyber Experts Add Value?
Military veterans are used to regularly adapting to different roles, new teams and different responsibilities. As a result, they are highly motivated, adaptable and quick to learn. Furthermore, ex-military cyber experts are not only highly skilled in the industry, but what differentiates them from others is the extensive experience they have gained has been under huge amounts of pressure in hostile environments.Such breadth of experience is unrivalled and makes them highly employable in the commercial world.
Examples Of Armed Forces-Friendly Employers Looking For Ex-Military Cyber Experts
- Advent IM
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise
- PA Consulting