Hiring Ex-military For Health And Safety Roles
EX-MILITARY personnel can prove to be ideal candidates for health and safety jobs, used as they are to following process and regulated safety rules in uniquely hazardous and high pressure environments.
An intrinsic and instinctive following of safety procedures is instilled into members of the Armed Forces from the very beginning of their training. Spotting and tackling hazards in all aspects of their working life becomes second nature to most military personnel. They can bring a rigorous implementation of safety procedures to their role and they have a deep need to safeguard the men and women in their care.
Gary Cullen spent 25 years in the army, rising to the rank of Regimental Sergeant Major, before securing a job as a Senior Safety and Risk Advisor with leading fresh produce firm G’s Fresh. As Gary put it: “In my 25 years’ service, safety was always on the agenda from basic training and continued throughout my whole career. Health and safety is instilled into every soldier.”
Why recruit ex-Armed Forces people for Health & Safety Roles?
Military veterans are used to regularly adapting to different roles, new teams and different responsibilities. Ex-military health and safety experts are highly-skilled and have extensive experience gained working under huge amounts of pressure in hostile environments. They are willing and able to operate under high levels of pressure, calmly and without compromise. Such breadth of experience is unrivalled and makes them highly employable in the commercial world.
- Have a health and safety focus in all aspects of work
- Are used to understanding and managing risk
- Are experienced in spotting and tackling hazards
- Are familiar with operating in high pressure situations and reacting calmly in any given situation
- Are adaptable, flexible and resourceful
- Follow rules and regulations
- Are used to conducting briefings
What Skills Can Veterans Bring To Health And Safety Roles?
- Health and Safety qualifications, eg NEBOSH/CMIOSH
- Computer literacy and data management
- Understanding and using technical information
- Knowledge of health and safety legislation
- Written and oral communication
- Drive to succeed
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Confident and ambitious
- Flexible and reliable
- Relationship-building and networking
- The ability to multi-task and prioritise
- Time management
- Team working and leadership
How Can I Find Military Veterans To Fill Health And Safety Roles?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01249 691415.