Call To Mind: A Framework for Action report, commissioned by the Forces in Mind Trust (FiMT) and conducted by Community Innovations Enterprise, highlights that while Scotland has one of the most robust mental and related health support structures for veterans in the UK, there are gaps in provision and specific areas where further improvements could be made. The report provides the findings from a review of the mental and related health needs of veterans in Scotland.
Key findings and recommendations
- Key areas highlighted in the report include appropriately targeting and maximising existing resources in order to support veterans and their families and carers, particularly those who are most in need.
- The report suggests that Scotland should continue to focus on developing a ‘mixed economy’ of service provision (and avoid switching to a ‘one size fits all’ model), which is based on local need and ease of access to services and caters both to those living in remote rural locations as well as to those in urban areas.
- There is also a need for greater collaborative partnerships to improve efficiency and effectiveness between the statutory and voluntary sectors; the same can also be said for within the voluntary sector itself, in order to ensure that those with multiple complex issues, including mental health, alcohol and those engaged with the criminal justice system, are met.
The report makes 16 key recommendations that could help further strengthen the nation’s strategy to meet the needs of veterans and their family, that include:
- More research on the emotional and support needs of the families of veterans
- Increasing awareness and understanding of the local systems and provision of safeguarding children to ensure families and children have access to any help they need, when they need it
- A more strategic and coordinated partnership approach to supporting veterans with the most complex needs
- Improving access to information for veterans to help overcome difficulties in navigating between numerous websites to find the information they need
- Improving monitoring around the standards and quality of veteran’s mental health services.
You can read the full report here: http://bit.ly/2fxgj7L