On Barclays’ website, the company highlights their belief that veterans have outstanding experience and a huge amount of transferable skills to bring to their workplace.
Ashok Vaswani, Group Chief Executive of Personal and Corporate Bank at Barclays, said:
“I’m proud of the difference we are making to the lives thousands of ex-service men and women. Through life skills training and education courses, work placements and permanent jobs, Barclays’ AFTER Programme is helping make the transition to civilian life less challenging.”
Barclays’ Armed Forces Transition, Employment & Resettlement (AFTER) Programme
BARCLAYS supports thousands of veterans with their transition into commercial employment every year through their AFTER programme. Through their AFTER programme, the British multinational company also aims to highlight the economic value former Servicemen and women can bring to the corporate world.
Established in 2010, Barclays AFTER programme helps to address the issues faced by former, as well as current Service personnel in their transition into civilian employment, by providing:
- Work placements.
- Direct employment opportunities.
- CV and interview coaching and money management sessions.
- Millions in funding for education and vocational courses for Service Leavers through Service charity partnerships.
Who can apply?
Anyone who has served in the military, whether regular or reserve.
For more information about the AFTER programme, click here
Barclays also runs an internship programme, a Military Talent Day and bespoke CV workshops. The internship starts in July each year and runs for 12 weeks and is open to any Service Leaver able to complete the placement whilst in the period of their Resettlement.
Internships and Placements
The internships are within the Investment Bank, Barclaycard and Internal Audit and based in London (Canary Wharf).
Placements are available across a wide range of functions and include Risk Management, Change Management. This opportunity could be a stepping stone to a future career.
Barclays Military Talent Day (MTD)
These take place two or three times a year in either London or Glasgow. The MTD consists of:
- A series of presentations about Barclays, given by senior leaders, highlighting the transferable skills that Service personnel have and how they fit into financial services.
- An informal networking event, where delegates have the opportunity to talk to members of the Barclays Military Services Network and ask any questions about the transition from the military into financial services.
CV and Interview Workshops
These are bespoke one or two day workshops tailored to the needs of the individual.
Barclays also sponsors a successful mentor programme, Veterans Employment Transition Support (VETS). VETS is a social enterprise that brings together charities, businesses and the MOD to improve employment outcomes for veterans, employers and the UK economy.
Read more about VETS here