Location: South London
Salary: £29 – £35k plus benefits
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Mechanical & Electrical Engineer, ideally with Building Services and Facilities Management experience, to join a prestigious Independent Day School in South London and provide both a reactive and pro-active, multi-skilled maintenance service on all plant and facilities infrastructure.
Reporting to the Facilities & Estates Manager, the role will be responsible for reviewing, developing, implementing and managing continuous improvement and modern maintenance principles by highlighting deficiencies and recommending changes in training, working practices and processes as appropriate.
Your role is to increase site operational effectiveness, improve on project delivery, mean time between failure and downtime reduction, and manage and implement improvement plans.
After the successful recruitment of its Facilities & Estates Manager the school is actively interested to see what appropriately qualified ex-military could bring to this role. Indicatively you are probably a former REME Corporal / possibly a Senior NCO (or similarly technically qualified).
- Identify, create and deliver an overall mechanical & electrical systems supply chain & contracts management strategy.
- Identify, create and deliver a best practice maintenance strategy to aid and improve operational performance and develop a Planned Preventative Maintenance (PPM) schedule, ensuring full preventative maintenance is carried out, with gaps in delivery identified and resolved.
- Monitor expenses and control the budget for maintenance.
- Ensure Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are met by working to Strategies mentioned above, including management of and reporting performance issues, and ensuring that Health, Safety and Environmental requirements are adhered to.
- Effectively delegate any maintenance issues to the right skills in the team, or escalate to the appropriate contractor, planning and managing effective works in a timely and efficient manner ensuring safety measures are adhered to and managed effectively.
- Ensure statutory compliance (including Water Temp Tests, L8 / Legionella Testing, BMS Checks and Plant Room checks) is recorded in the agreed management system accurately and that tasks and actions are carried out in a timely and efficient manner.
- Manage suppliers/contractors on site to ensure they meet legal, statutory and safeguarding requirements.
- Reactive Maintenance & Repairs: Fixing leaks/plumbing issues, changing ballasts, lighting and general repairs across the buildings.
- Liaise with colleagues to ensure that, so far as is possible, all staff affected by maintenance work are consulted as to its impact on their own domain, and that all relevant matters have been brought to the attention of the Facilities & Estates Manager.
- Ensure Health and Safety policies are complied with.
Skills & experience
- Recognised qualification in mechanical or electrical engineering or demonstrable experience.
- Multi Skilled - ability to understand and maintain Building Services mechanical & electrical systems.
- Experience in reviewing technical documentation and drawings.
- Driven, entrepreneurial, self-starting.
- Ability to problem-solve and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexible in approach.
- Well-skilled in dealing with contractors and utility companies at management and operative level.
- Able to identify and respect confidentiality.
- Deal effectively with people from all walks of life.
- Able to work on own initiative and as a member of the team, often under pressure.
- Numerate and a good organiser.