Are you a Service leaver, veteran or spouse interested in a managerial or engineering job in Scotland? Would you like to gain valuable commercial experience with a multi-skilled, growing and family owned business? Our client is offering former Service men and women a unique opportunity to take part in a 4-6-week, paid 'Transition To Employment' programme, leading directly to Health and Safety Advisor, Site Manager, Project Manager or Site Engineer roles. The aim of the programme is to familiarise ex-military jobseekers with the roles, convert and/ or 'upskill' their military managerial or engineering skills to the commercial environment and give both parties the opportunity to decide whether or not to turn a temporary, 4-6 week training programme into permanent employment.
Our client is a multi-skilled organisation operating in the construction, asset management and project investment sectors offering services to a diverse range of clients in the UK and Ireland.
Our client is looking to recruit an enthusiastic and dynamic individual with sound knowledge of both construction methods and safety health and environmental legislation. This is a significant role within the company as they continue to endeavour to keep the workforce free from injury and ill health, help the company meet agreed objectives and targets, and to ensure ongoing compliance with current H&S and Environmental legislation. Reporting to the Regional Health & Safety Manager, the successful candidate will provide help and advice to all Construction operations across Scotland.
- Advise management & staff on safety, health & environmental matters
- Conduct site health & safety compliance audits
- Investigate accidents and incidents
- Assist with and/or deliver relevant training programmes
- Deliver induction programmes, tool-box talks and briefings if required
- Review company and subcontractors paperwork
- Prepare information for regular departmental bulletins
- Prepare legislation updates and advisory memos
- Assist in the preparation of construction phase plans
- Assist in the preparation of site Health & Safety packs
- Assist with responses to PQQ, Bid, and tender questions if required
- Be instrumental in encouraging near miss reporting
- Normal H&S qualification e.g. NEBOSH General Certificate as a minimum
- Holder of CSCS / CSR / Safepass card
- Knowledge of relevant Health & Safety legislation
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of construction processes – both building and civil engineering
- Minimum of three years’ H&S experience in construction or construction related discipline
- Demonstrate strong communication, numeracy and literacy skills
- Awareness of the relevant management standard (18001 / HSG65 / Safe T Cert)
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft packages such as Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Commercial Awareness: Strong business acumen combined with the creativity and vision to meet customer needs and client business requirements.
- Leadership skills: Communicates and gains team commitment to a vision, able to motivate staff and provide direction and vision.
- Effective Communication skills: Able to adapt communication to audience and create detailed written documents and reports. Able to maintain and manage communication links with a variety of stakeholders. Presents a professional image and promotes the Brand.
- Customer Focus: Takes time to question and understand the real, underlying needs of the customer, beyond those initially expressed. Always works closely with customers, developing an independent view of their needs and acting in their long term interest
- Influencing: Identifies and builds relationships with those who will be useful now and in the future in achieving strategic business objectives.
- Initiative: is able to work alone to get results in an effective way. Understands and seeks to minimise waste in resources and processes. Adopts and encourages others to adopt new ways of working. Ability to work unsupervised.
- Team Player: Always willing to be involved in other activities to achieve company objectives. Works collaboratively and uses influence to gain resolution of issues. Demonstrates honesty, loyalty and commitment.
- NEBOSH Construction Certificate or Diploma
- Experienced gained from working directly with or on site teams in a construction environment
- Working towards, or possessing, as a minimum Grad IOSH or equivalent professional qualification
- Knowledge of relevant specific environmental legislation for the region
- Knowledge of quality management and environmental systems and standard (9001 / 14001/ etc)
- Awareness of behavioural safety approaches